Thursday, April 16, 2009

All signed up and ready to go...

So I took a huge leap of faith and made a pretty big pact with my body by signing up for an Intuitive Birthing class scheduled to begin on Saturday, June 6th!

I would really like to be able to deliver this little girl without any pain medication/drugs. I am completely aware of how crazy this may sound but I have come to realize that how a woman gives birth is a completely personal decision and she has to do what is best for her and her baby. Bottom line...all I care about in the end is that me and baby are happy and healthy. I would never sacrifice or risk the health of either of us just to have a "natural birth."

Anyhow...Intuitive Birthing is a class offered by a great local group of Doulas/Moms in the Kennesaw Area. Their company is called Baby Steps and they offer all kinds of cool classes from how to raise a "green baby" to postpartum classes that offer advice on how to adjust to your new little family!

Intuitive Birthing students are 68% less likely to have a cesarean than the average Georgia mother. 75% of Intuitive Birthing students who give birth vaginally do so without pain medication. I thought those numbers looked pretty good and this class came highly recommended by a few ladies that I know so I am excited to take this class and get myself as educated and prepared as possible!

Here is a quick rundown of what this class is all about. (I borrowed this from their website!)
This class will discuss the many important decisions you need to make during your pregnancy in order to have the kind of birth experience you want. Learn how nutrition and specific exercises can help keep you low-risk and make your pregnancy and birth more comfortable. We will discuss the stages of labor in detail, including how things might feel both physically and emotionally, and things you and your partner can do to make your labor easier. Each week you will receive a new relaxation script, and there will be two comprehensive in-class labor rehearsals where you can apply your knowledge to specific situations that may occur during labor. Learn about various interventions, tests, and procedures, and create a "birth plan." You will also learn what to expect postpartum, and how to have an easier transition into parenthood. Birth videos are shown in class to prepare you for what to expect, since many Americans have never witnessed a natural birth


I will still be giving birth at Kennestone Hospital as originally planned. I like doctors and the safety that they provide in case something were to go wrong or if I were to need some type of assistance. I like to keep them very close by....as in...Right down the hall. Outside the door. Even sitting at my bedside if I can convince them to do so!

Anyhow....this is a huge deal for me. No matter what I feel that this class will educate me so that I walk away with a better understanding as to what the heck will be going on with my body as this little lady makes her grand entrance!

So...wish me luck! ....And my sweet husband who has just signed himself up for (9) 2 hour long classes each Saturday!

Oh...and if you are interested in checking out this cool little company...
Here is the website: http://www.babystepsonline.net/

1 comment:

Christy said...

This all sounds great! I have all the faith in the world that you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to! You are woma! Hear you(rself) roar!!!