Greetings all! Another new year is upon us...I must say, the last one flew by at lightening speed!
So 2011 is going to be about getting real with myself. Let me begin with a quick story.
The morning of my first day back to work of the new year, I rushed around as I always do trying to get everything done/ready before Lexie woke up. I rummaged around my closed and found a pair of black dress pants. I should preface by saying these dress pants were purchased upon my return to work 3 months after Lexie was born. In theory, these should be nice and loose. Surely they would not serve as a reminder as to just how many Christmas treats I had allowed myself. As I slid them on, I quickly realized that these pants no longer fit me at all! I was unable to button or zip...and still breath. Oh crap. How could I possibly be bigger now, 16 months after having a child than I was 3 months after having a child. That doesn't happen to anyone does it? (Please tell me it does.)
I have realized a few things about myself and my eating habits.
#1. I am a person of extremes when it comes to foods. I am either eating a grapefruit for lunch OR eating a #1 supersized. Not good. There is no middle of the road for me.
#2. I eat whenever I am stressed or happy. Oh yeah, I also eat if I am sad too. If I had a challenging day with Lexie...I think I deserve a slice of pie. If I had a succesful day at work...I think I deserve a slice of pie. If I have a lot of laundry to do and a dirty house...I think I deserve a slice of pie. You get my drift.
#3. I value myself less than dirty laundry. I will forgo a trip to the gym because I have laundry to do. Don't I matter more than our dirty socks? Isn't my health and well-being more important? OR..is my OCD to have everything cleaned, organized, washed and put away more important. (Clearly I know which one has been winning out.)
I think you get the idea...and based upon my chats with other people...I think this is more common than I think. Is there help for people like me?
I have gained 13 pounds since Lexie's 1rst birthday. (I know this because I weighed myself on her birthday AND congratulated myself with an extra peice of cake for getting back down to my pre-baby weight.) Hmm..funny how that works huh.
I am going to focus on finding a "happy medium" for me, my family AND my home. It is not going to be easy but I have to stop the "all or nothing" attitude now. It really isn't healthy for anything.
Another prime example...My boss handed me a pretty hefty project on Friday afternoon and said, "I almost hesitate to give this to you because I know you will just stay up until 3AM getting it done even though I don't need it back for 2 weeks."
SOOO....instead of doing what I would typically do. (Stay up until 3 AM) I divided the project evenly over the next 9 days. Still technically getting him back the project 5 days early. I know this sounds weird..but even THAT was a challenge to me. I worry that something will happen and I won't be able to get it done...
So..clearly some things I will be working on for 2011. What about you?
**Sorry for the abrupt stop but I am blogging from my toilet seat as Lexie plays in the bath...AND..she is currently crawling out so GOTTA RUN!
Jane 23
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment