Happy Sunday ladies and gents!
Rob and I have become the latest contestants in....."THE NAME GAME!"
Yep....cue the cheesy intro music now ;-)
Now that we know to buy pink instead of blue, it is time for a name!
We had put off playing this game until we found out the sex of the baby because it just seemed like double the work to figure out a boy name and a girl name!
I totally envy those mothers out there who have said to me, "ooo ooo I always knew I was going to name my little girl this or that." Yep...not me. I had a baby doll named "Cabby" that I loved and I never really branched out much after that. (AND...she was a cabbage patch doll folks...so it wasn't that bad of a name!)
I have to start out by saying my favorite resource for baby names has been the social security website.
I figure these folks really know what the most popular names are out there.
I have decided to boycott the top ten names listed on their website just because I don't want my little girl going to kindergarten and being one of ten "Emily's."
(I am sorry if your little girl is named Emily...I think it is a VERY cute name. After all, it is #1.)
Here are the top ten girl names in the US according to http://www.ssa.gov/:
1.Emily
2. Isabella
3. Emma
4. Ava
5. Madison
6. Sophia
7. Olivia
8. Abigail
9. Hannah
10. Elizabeth
So...after we got those names out of the way. We came up with our own list. It was still nothing earth-shattering and we didn't exactly invent new names but we tried to branch out a little...
Here is a list of a few of our faves....with explanation:
Lexie Grace Perry: (This is Daddy's favorite. Lexie is the 502nd most popular name on ssa.gov and is a Greek name meaning, "helper and defender of mankind." I love the middle name Grace for so many reasons. Some of the best sermons I have ever heard and will always remember have been about God's grace and I feel that a sweet child is no better example of that. Grace is a Latin name meaning, "Having God's favor."
Katelyn Grace Perry: I think this is a cute name...have always liked. BUT...I would hate for her to be called Katie Perry and be asked a million times a day if she kissed a girl and she liked it. (Katie Perry is a pop singer who wrote a song about kissing a girl and liking it....not sure how popular or memorable that song will be in 3 years even.)
Ella Grace Perry: I also think this is a cute name....Ella is becoming very popular but I still think it is a sweet name.
Naming a baby is a pretty big deal...but I am the type of person who will have to have a decision made soon. ;-)
Wish us luck! Any and all amazing suggestions are welcome! Feel free to comment!
Jane 23
5 months ago
2 comments:
Hi Jennifer,
Congratulations on the baby! It sounds like you've been pretty busy thinking of names. The three you listed here are all really cute (but I agree that Katie Perry might be an awkward pick!). I have a baby name blog you might want to check out for ideas.
www.amandabarden.com/blog/
Good luck!
Amanda
Hey girl, my friend sent me this link and it's a cute site. Good luck!
http://www.whatalovelyname.com/
Post a Comment