Thursday, October 30, 2008

Uh Oh...How'd that happen?

Isn't that what we all say (or have said) when we step on the scale?
Since getting married almost 13 months ago I have gained about eight pounds.

Not a huge amount by any means but probably a good little wake-up call that I should start to make more conscious decisions about what I am eating.

It seemed strange to me that I have gained any weight since I began to run last January.
(A totally new and challenging endeavor for me.)
You should require LOTS of extra calories to be able to run right?

I am currently training for the half marathon that is set to take place on Thanksgiving. Sooo...how does this happen? What is wrong with me?
(Besides the fact that I felt the need to sign up for the Michael Phelps diet plan?)

I lie to myself. What could be worse?

I tell myself that it's okay to eat 4 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (nearly everyday) because I am training and running most nights! I tell myself that I deserve it. I have worked hard.

Except...it doesn't always end with the peanut butter cups.
(God bless those little cups of peanut butter bliss. Even better in the freezer!)
Does anyone else do this?

When I have had a extremely long day of work I will have no shame with going for the extra bagel because,
"I deserve it."
Deserve what exactly? A slightly thicker waistline and lowered self-esteem?

Does it put anyone in a good mood when they notice all their pants are getting a little snug?

Thanks a lot peanut butter cups. (You don't look so awesome anymore.)
I have been going back and forth with how to handle my new love of food.
(Who am I kidding? I have always loved food.)

I know how to lose weight. I have done it before. Eat less...Move more. Not hard right? WRONG!

I started a food diary last week. Bought a cute little notebook to fit in my purse.
Did great for a few days recording everything.
Then the weekend hits...and it's like a 72 hour buffet. And...I don't ever go home.
(Who really wants to write all that in the food diary?)

Oops! So much for last week.
So...I just ripped those pages out and made the decision to start again.

It's not even just about a few pounds anymore.
It's not purely a cosmetic issue. (Although everyone likes fitting in their skinny jeans.)
It's about taking care of your body so that it can take care of you.

Our bodies are these absolutely amazing machines that we typically take for granted until something goes wrong. Right?

My body is not thanking me for all the extra saturated fat and cholesterol I have been laying on it recently.

So while weight is typically a taboo subject...especially for the ladies. I am putting it out there.

By the way-
I have to say sorry to Rob who I so lovingly informed a few nights ago that, "Marriage is making me fat."

Marriage isn't really making me fluffy sweetie. (Actually you are my saving grace..) I am making me fluffy.

Well..technically the peanut butter cups are making me fluffy. But...whose keeping tabs? ME!!

So, if you love me...no more junk food for awhile.

I promise I have eaten my fair share. ;-)

Friend or Foe? (Or...the occasional visitor? Life is way too short to deprive yourself forever.)




No comments: